Meeting someone for the first time is a thrilling experience. In many contexts, one tends to always ask themselves before, during and after the encounter the following: Do I look ok? Do they like me? What did the person think of me? Before you know it an impression is made. Whether good, neutral or bad, both parties within seconds make an opinion and then decide if they’re opinion is validated or not by the interaction that continues.
We at Elite Speed Dating believe that every meeting is an opportunity to make an Elite First Impression. In order to help our guest achieve that goal, upon registration we ask them if they would like to receive, along with their matches, ONLY positive or ALL the anonymous feedback from their dates.
During the evening we offer the possibility, and encourage our guests, to write comments and give feedback at the end of each and every date at all Elite Speed Dating events. All comments and feedback are kept anonymous to permit and ensure authenticity, truthfulness and confidentiality.
Therefore, every guest has the privilege, if they so choose, to know how they portrayed themselves and thus find out what people thought about them during that evening, within the next 24 hours of the event.
A recent study shows that when people initially meet you they answer two questions:
- Can I trust this person?
- Can I respect this person?
The information from the feedback that is given, from going on all those dates, is a good indication on how people would answer these two questions in regards of the way you came across.
Through our experience of running speed dating events over the last five years, we noted that the people who tend to get one or more matches after a five minute conversation have the following feedback in common. For men, the best overall feedback comments include they are cute or good looking, are good conversationalist, have a good sense of humour, have good manners and are good listeners. For women, the best overall feedback comments include they are cool, fun to talk too, know what they want and are pretty.
It is also important to note the comments that tend to hinder the chances of getting a match and therefore a second meeting. The most prevalent constructive feedback that applied to both genders alike included: Bad hygiene, inappropriately dressed, nothing to say, only speaking about their jobs and talking to much about themselves are the most prevalent comments that were mentioned.
Therefore, if we could give you some advice in order to make an Elite First Impression during a speed dating event, it would be the following:
THE 6 ELITE FIRST IMPRESSION TIPS FOR SPEED DATING
- Have good hygiene: Shower, deodorise and have something to freshen your breath.
- Dress appropriately: Smart casual is usually a good way to go unless the specific speed dating event you are going to has a particular dress code for the event. Check in with your speed dating representative.
- Keep yourself informed: Keeping yourself informed with some current, pop culture, politics and general international events always helps with conversation.
- Be a good listener: Listening to the other person shows that you are attentive and you will be able to ask the right questions to keep the conversation going.
- Be yourself: Be true to yourself and you will attract the right person for you.
- Be sincere: Say what you genuinely feel and believe. Honesty will lead to trust and respect.
Keeping these 6 Elite First Impression Tips for Speed Dating in mind and incorporating them in your daily life will increase the likelihood of you making a lasting Elite First Impression.
Founder, President and CEO of Elite Speed Dating